Rural Life 2014

18:08

So I’ve been in New Zealand for almost four months and as we all know, I was quite eager for the rural life. Just how rural are we talking? Well, Westwood’s population is about 47,000. And this is just a neighborhood within Los Angeles, which is blessed with a population of about 3.8 million and a population density of 8200/sq mi. The town of Lincoln has about 3500 residents. The population density is 1000/sq mi. You could say the difference is noticeable.

Unsurprisingly, the small school life is inexorably linked to the rural life. The difference between LA and Lincoln the town might as well be the difference between UCLA and Lincoln the school. 


What it’s like being on campus in LA:

A night stroll thru the massive campus

Opening night for UCLA men's basketball

Beat USC bonfire (two year defeat btw just saying)

USC rival football game (technically not on campus but might as well be)



What it’s like being on campus in Lincoln:
Walking down the main road to class... where are the people?

The neighbors

The NEIGHbor... cuz it's a horse

Quality time with lamb



How I get my kicks in LA:

On campus student performance

hanging out (heh) at Santa Monica

Are you seeing the very sporty influence of UCLA yet??


How I get my kicks in Lincoln:

First day that it's not frigid the pool comes out

Don't worry no lambs were actually stolen/harmed

I take what I can get

more quality time with lamb

Also let's not forget how you insult people here:

Only in Lincoln.

It’s a new experience for sure. Which is exactly what I wanted. But any time I walk around, I’m just thinking Where are all the people though?

Because of the whole no one lives here/goes here thing, class is completely different than what I’m used to. I’ve been in lectures with over 300 people in them at UCLA. Here, three of my four classes have less than 30 people. At Lincoln, there are only 7 buildings with lecture halls. At UCLA who knows how many there are but I've personally had class in 19. Yes I sat here and worked that out.

So it's small. It's small and there aren't many people. But there are lambs. There are lambs and tons of free hot dogs and some actual peace and quiet. Most importantly, there are field trips and just look at where we go:

Ecology and restoration at Quail Island / Queal Island 

Swash-aligned beach at Birdlings Flat

Marine terraces at Glenafric

Overall, the rural life at Lincoln is extremely relaxed. I get to learn about what I love (basically the whole natural world hence geography major) and escape the crammed city that I’ve lived in my whole life. Seriously that city is like a can of sardines. Or like when you’re trying to put the sleeping bag back in its sack and the sack just isn’t big enough so you are crushing it in there with all of your strength and sitting on it and rolling and re-rolling until it is only slightly too large and you’re still trying to get it in there and wondering how it ever fit in that sack to begin with because surely it’s not going back—yeah that’s what living in LA/going to UCLA/trying to get classes/living on campus/going to the dining halls/trying to do anything is like. And so I appreciate this spacious place on very personal level. There’s always a seat for me in class or on the bus or in whatever restaurant. There’s always room in the elevator. Most importantly, free food on campus never runs out before I hit that up.

It’s a good life. But funnily enough, I miss the sardine can. Even if UCLA is hell-bent on not giving me stats 12, or tickets to its concerts, or a good enrollment time; even if I’m going back to sharing a room in a tiny apartment for an exorbitant fee; even if returning home means no more lambs to pet… the can is calling me home and I’m ready to cram myself back in.  


UCLA will always have my heart

But Lincoln can keep a little piece.



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Can't wait to see you Nats and get to see where you have been residing the last 4 months or so. It does look beautiful and Uncrowded... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Most Read Post

My New Project

Thought of the Day

"And it's the wonders I'm after, even if I have to bleed for them." - September Morning Bell