Why I Picked New Zealand

17:04

Hi my name is Natalie Queally (NQ) and I'm studying abroad in New Zealand (NZ) for a semester. There we go blog name explained you're welcome.

"Why New Zealand?" I'm always asked. So many times have I been asked, in fact, that I've cultivated this generic response:

"Well New Zealand has always been my number one travel destination and at home I study geography and environmental studies," and then I add under my breath, "and conservation biology. And GIS." Then I continue in an audible volume, "so it seemed like a good choice."

And that's the basic truth. What I usually don't elaborate on is just how obsessed I became with Lincoln University when I decided to apply. Lincoln is as far from UCLA (my home school) as possible (speaking both geographically and characteristically). UCLA enrolls almost 50,000 students, while Lincoln enrolls about 3500. That's only 400 more than my high school. UCLA is in Los Angeles. Lincoln is surrounded by farms. Literally. This is a satellite image comparison (yes I like maps did I mention I study geography):



Don't even get me started on their departments. Who am I kidding I'll name some anyway: Viticulture and Oenology. Wool Science. Recreation. Plant Protection. Enough said? This place is awesome.

And if that's not enough, it's on the beautiful South Island of New Zealand, the well-known backdrop for the Lord of the Rings films.

Oh and they speak English (more or less).

So that's why I picked NZ in a nutshell. I came here with full intent of having awesome adventures of JRR Tolkien proportions so check back soon, friends.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Most Read Post

My New Project

Thought of the Day

"And it's the wonders I'm after, even if I have to bleed for them." - September Morning Bell